The Joy of Aging

I celebrate the joy of aging. Yes, there have been times when aches and pains made me not want to get out of bed some mornings, but there have been many more times when I look forward to my day and relish the chance to experience something new. A woman once said to me, "I don't tell folks my age because I don't want them saying "you're that old," or "You look so young for your age." Another woman said, "I've made it this far and I'm proud." It all depends on your perspective. I don't want to be defined by my age. After all, it's just a number. Not that I'm trying to hide anything. One look at me and one can tell I'm no longer a spring chicken, as the saying goes - the slowing steps, the spreading waistline, the sagging breast, the constant battle to cover that gray. Yes, I do color my hair. This reminds me of my aunt's adage, "...as long as there's Miss Clairol..." You get the picture. What's important to me is the awareness of life. Each day brings new joy, new things to learn and to experience.



Society is beginning to recognize that age does not define a person. One can be an old 35 or a young 70. Thank goodness for the changing attitudes. In my mother and grandmother's day, when a person reached a certain age, down came the hemline; dresses were shapless, heels were lowered, and hair was pulled back or worn in a conservative style. Today, no such restrictions are placed on us aging vessels of beauty. So let's celebrate the joy of aging. You are as old as you feel and as young as you think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Technology Savy

Walk a Mile in My Shoes

Happy Birthday