Happy Birthday

 Phillip Sanchez - Guest Blogger

 I wrote this on my Birthday, last Saturday, Jan 28th of 2023

 

Today, this day

I turn 78 years of age.

I look in the mirror, and, I have to look again.

Who is that old, old wrinkled up man, that Viejo  (Spanish for old man)

What happened que paso? To you

How very sad, Que lastima

Well, aside from the sorry looking sight of me, the image of the very old man of the sea.

I do come to the realization that, Yes,  I’m 78 now

Many mixed feelings

Don’t know why I feel a little melancholy.

Memories of my youth and my parents come to my heart now

With it, quiet sadness.

Don’t know how much longer.

My Father will grant me Life on this planet.

It’s unknown.

That light at the end of the tunnel grows -  smaller

And smaller, day by day by day.

But, on the other side of the coin

I’m ever so grateful for 

The true blessing of this, my Life

A healthy body, mind, and spirit

I do say a healthy body with a medium size grain of salt.

With 2 slight tears in my left rotator cuff and a tooth that will have to be replaced soon with an implant and with a slight loss of my hearing. 

But, I still enjoy 

Comforts and Joys: the thrill of dancing, of attending and listening to concerts, plays, of catching, a huge yellowfin tuna.

Good times with Loved ones: family and good friends

All these, Given to me by the grace of God.

However, I do have one major correction that needs to come into being.

I really do need to be much more positive.

And, not so critical and judgmental

Sometimes knowledge can be a curse.

As passion can also, sometimes be.  

Hardwired to hate injustice

Regardless of its form or shape

 

 

So, I tell myself Phillip do these few things to maintain a good and healthy balance.

When that passionate anger touches your heart

Take a deep breath

Exhale slowly and, take one more breath 

And, just sing the words of one of your favorite songs: 

Phillip, here’s a few lyrics for you. 

“In every life we have some trouble

When you worry you make it double

Don’t Worry, Be Happy”

 

Yes, 78 years!

 

Note: The name of the song mentioned is “Don’t Worry, Be Happy,” by Bobby McFerrin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Technology Savy

Walk a Mile in My Shoes