Laughter is Good Medicine



There is an old saying that laughter is good medicine.  It's been around a long time and I believe it's true.  Laughter is also contagious.  When I was a young girl, just a certain look from my sister would send me into spasms of laughter.  And she would do it purposely.  I laughed a lot when I was younger.  I laughed at movies like the "Carry-on" British series and "Dr. Strangelove."  Recently I saw a Carry-on" movie on TV and I didn't find it funny at all.  I laughed at my relatives when they'd do something, not intentional, but to me it was funny.  My father would lecture us on our behavior.  I wouldn't laugh in his presence.  That could lead to dire consequences.  And I would laugh at my aunts and uncles who had a tendency to imbibe too much and act crazy.

As a young adult, I laughed a bit, but not the kind of guffaws that erupted unexpectedly in my youth.  Personal and family relationships, concern with school, job, marriage and raising a family really cut into my sense of humor.  My emotional rollercoaster seldom rose above a polite chuckle.   I don't mean I never laughed.  I just can't remember those deep spontaneous laughs from my young days.  Then one day, I realized I hadn't had a good laugh in a long while and I missed it.  As an older adult, my responsibilities have lessened, my life has become simpler, and the belly laughs have returned.  Now, I laugh at the silly mistakes I make.  Once I couldn't find my keys and I had an appointment.  I climbed out the window, went to my son's school, got his keys, only to discover I'd locked mine in the garage.  I laugh at some things in life that I use to take much too seriously.  

I've read that laughter is good for ones health.  They even have classes to show people how to laugh.  Now that's funny.   There are enough things in life that make us cry.  And plenty of people who enjoy having company in their woes.  It's best to avoid those who feel better only when they can make another suffer.  When I focus on the bright side of life, seeing humor even in little things like my grandbaby being mischievous, doing things one-year olds do and driving her parents insane, it makes me laugh.  I like to laugh.  It makes me feel positive, looking forward to life's challenges, and it keeps me healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday

Walk a Mile in My Shoes

Catching up with Technology